Quick, pertinent information on community development in Smithers in 2017:
The Smithers Regional Airport will undergo an $8 million dollar terminal expansion with construction starting in April of 2017.
Smithers Regional Airport has rezoned 132 acres to support new industrial activity at the airport.
Ambleside Projects Ltd. is developing a 44 acre site which includes 105 single family building lots, and three multi-family sites.
- Phase One is complete with only one single family lot left for purchase.
- Phase Two is 67% purchased
A 19 unit passive house certified housing complex is slated for construction starting in April of 2017.
We have the following head offices in Smithers (as in you can speak to the CEO here)
- Hy Tech Diamond Drilling ($25-$50M annual revenue) www.hy-techdrilling.com
- Central Mountain Air ($25-$50M annual revenue) www.flycma.com
- Bandstra Transportation Systems ($25-$50M annual revenue) www.bandstra.com
- All West Glass ($50M+ annual revenue) www.all-westglass.com
Smithers is situated at the gateway of the famed “Golden Triangle” collection of mineral deposits. Pretivm Resources (Brucejack Mine) and Seabridge Gold (KSM project) both have offices in Smithers.
Over $60 Billion dollars of proposed infrastructure and resource development taking place with Smithers being at the gateway of all of it.
Major employers include Northern Health, Province of British Columbia, Pacific Inland Resources, Hy-Tech Diamond Drilling, School District 54, and Northwest Community College.
CityWest Communications has completed their roll out of their fibre optic network in Smithers.
Municipal population of 5401, regional population of 12000, trading population of 22000.
Median income of $72,194 per family which is above the provincial and national average.
Municipal population has remained unchanged from last census.